Server Naming Contest
The optimist in me would like to point out that my aforementioned stupidity regarding my toasting of Serenity has an upside: in the process of rebuilding my network and moving services around, I was able to rename all of the machines to conform to my new naming convention: famous Canadians.
So here's the list:
- Dallaire (gateway and firewall) - Roméo Dallaire is a Canadian senator, humanitarian, author and retired general best known for his work as Peacekeeper in Rwanda during the genocide.
- Trudeau (web, dns, imaps and fileserver) - Pierre Elliott Trudeau brought us our Constitution, our Charter of Rights and Freedoms, was a champion of national Unity and had a pair of big brass ones when it came to doing what he knew was right, opposition be damned. He is my favourite Prime Minister.
- Douglas (laptop) - Tommy Douglas was the founder of Canada's nationalised health care system as well as the NDP. Champion for a range of socialist causes, he was depicted as a rebel in the CBC's Greatest Canadian series, I felt it appropriate that he get the laptop :-)
- May (desktop) - Elizabeth May is a long time environmental activist and the present leader of the Green Party of Canada and the primary reason that I'm a supporter. She is all kinds of awesome.
- Geist (my ps3) - Michael Geist is the Canada Research Chair in Internet and E-Commerce Law at the University of Ottawa. He's a Canada's #1 copyright reform advocate, and I couldn't resist the irony of attaching his name to a Sony product.
Now here's the thing. The last two people are not nearly as strong as the first three. I mean, don't get me wrong, May and Geist are awesome people, but I feel as though the both of them haven't really done enough to be compared to the other three. I'd like to hear a list of suggestions for different names, hopefully related to their function if possible.
There are also 3 more computers on their way (low-watt replacements for Trudeau) so while one of them will still bear the Trudeau name (the webserver), there are essentially 4 machines up for naming rights:
- A domain server / DHCP server
- A fileserver
- My desktop (gaming, movies & development)
- My PS3
So here's where you come in: I want a list of names to use for the above. Tell me why your Canadian is a good choice: Riel, Pearson, McClung, whomever you like, but tell me why. I'd also like to have some women in the mix if possible -- it just feels kinda weird to have all my machines be male :-)